NOTE: I stopped updating this post in October, 2013. However, much of what runs on the Surface Pro 2 should also work with the original Surface Pro. Applications that have had compatibility issues with display drivers such as Autodesk Mudbox will likely break if you attempt to update the SP1.
One of the principal objectives of this blog is to help take the guesswork out of making your purchasing decision. I'm taking the time to install and determine whether these creative applications run so you won't have to.
Here's what I've installed and tested so far:
- Photoshop CC, CS6 - runs, pressure sensitivity corrected with Wacom Feel driver update.
- Illustrator CC, CS6 - runs.
- Flash Professional CC - runs.
ArtRage 4 - runs, recommended
- 3DS Max 2014, 2013 - runs
- Maya 2014, 2013 - runs
- Maya LT 2014 - runs
- Mudbox 2014, 2013 - incompatible, requires discrete graphics
- Mudbox 2010 x64 - runs
- Sketchbook Designer 2014, 2103 - runs, pressure sensitivity corrected with Wacom Feel driver update
- Sketchbook Pro 6.2.3 - runs, recommended
- Softimage 2014, 2013 - runs
Blender 2.68 - runs, not recommended: interface tool small, not scaleable, scaling reacts to pen movement
- Clip Studio Paint 1.2.7 - runs, recommended (Japanese language)
- Clip Studio Modeler Beta 0.9.0 - runs (Japanese language)
- Corel Draw x6 - runs
- Corel Painter x3 -runs
Gimp 2.8.6 - runs
Lumion Keyshot 4.1.35 - runs
Luxology/Foundry Modo 701, 601 SP5 - runs, set input device to tablet
Maxon Cinema 4D Studio R14 - TBD
Newtek Lightwave 11.5 - runs, with pen control issues
Pilgway 3D-Coat 4.0.03 - runs
- Sculptris Alpha 6 - Intel HD4000 driver required
- ZBrush 4R5, 4R6 - runs
61 Solutions Mischief 1.08 - runs
- Anime Studio Pro 9.5 - runs
- Manga Studio 5, 5 EX - runs, recommended (update to 5.0.3)
- Motion Artist 1.1 - runs
- Poser Pro 2010 - runs
Speedy Painter 3.0.7 - runs
TeamUP (Lagoa) MultiOptics - runs, Chrome only
Toonboom Animate Pro 3 - runs
Trimble Sketchup 2013 - runs
Triple Squid Software Design Moments of Inspiration 2.0 (Moi3D) - runs
Unity Pro 4.3.0b5 - runs, touch response unreliable. Works with mouse, capacitive stylus.
Would you like me to test any other programs? Please leave a comment below.